Random Nerd Fact

Mike Rowe's voice can make grown men fall to their knees...FACT

Weekend Wrap

Posted by Sinatra The Tank | Posted in , , , , , | Posted on 7:55 PM

This weekend proved quite productive in regards to my film viewing experience. I watched several films some old and some new but all enjoyable. So I shall now present you all a quite run down of mini reviews. First up the NEW…

NEW

The Green Zone

-Honestly after seeing the trailer who was expecting Bourne 4? Show of hands…You’re lying if you said you didn’t. Hell even if you read the book on which the movie is based on it still must have appeared that the film treatment was going to get Bourne-ized but luckily that was not the case. I mean I love the Bourne flicks as much as anyone much I also enjoy a thinking mans movie every once and a while.

Admittedly I’m THAT much into politics and one of my least favorite movie subjects is the Iraq War just based on the fact that there is so much he said, she said conspiracy garbage that no one person can no exactly what went down and how it went down especially Hollywood filmmakers. However I really enjoyed Green Zone.

All the actors involved were good, special props to Damon, Isaac’s and Khalid Abdalla who had quite a powerful role. Greg Kinnear was so-so and the normally fantastic Brendan Gleeson while still good disappointed by not being able to convincingly play an American, were as Jason Isaac’s had a flawless American accent Gleeson slipped up a lot. Not enough to dismantle a movie but still got on my nerves.

Story wise it was good, at some points things can get a bit confusing and the makers of the film took some liberties with names and situations according to official statements and the original book. Overall though I was really into it and the fact that it kept me intrigued even without Matt Damon beating people down with a spork or some other harmless instrument of death says loads about the movie.

Greengrass continues to use his handheld shaky cam to dizzying effects but not enough to take away from the overall feel, it actually may have been the perfect amount to make the audience feel like they were right there with the characters. The only negative is that there is a substantial quality loss with those handheld cameras and in this day of HD and digital projections I really don’t want to suffer through a really grainy image.

So overall some nitpicks but small problems overall. Story was good, action was decent and acting was on par with other such movies.

Final Verdict: 6.5 out of 10

New(ish)

The Slammin’ Salmon

-For those that don’t know The Slammin’ Salmon is the latest film from the minds behind Super Troopers and Beerfest, the Broken Lizard crew. I’ve always been a fan of there films, Super Troopers is classic, Beerfest is Pretty damn funny and even The Dukes of Hazard had its merits (Namely Daisy Dukes). The new film marks the Directorial Debut of Kevin Heffernan (aka the funny fat one) which is kind of sad because he has a diminished role in the film, at least that’s how it feels.

The film tells the story of a group of waiters trying to make a lot of cash in one night because they all believe they are competing for a large prize but in reality the restaurants owner (a former boxing champ played by Michael Clarke Duncan) needs to pay off a debt. That’s the basic plot and it really doesn’t get too much more complex. All the Broken Lizard actors play parts of the restaurant staff each with their individual humorous quirks.

The comedy itself is pretty standard Broken Lizard fare; you know the kind I don’t really need to explain it for you. It’s an enjoyable movie that fans of the other Lizard flicks will enjoy, I know I did. Is it the bst film they’ve made, No but its fun enough. It’s not Super Troopers hysterical but it got me to laugh, a good flick to toss a few back to.

Final Verdict: 6 out of 10

Late to the Party

Moon

-WOW. How in the world (or out of this world) was this film not nominated for some sort of Oscar. To not give Rockwell a nom is a shame ad in a year with 10 best feature nominations I can’t believe it didn’t get one.

I had been crazy about seeing it ever since I saw the first trailer but because I live in small town U.S.A. no theater anywhere near me played it. Then I was out of the country for a few months and by the time I got back it was that grey zone between its time in theaters and its time on dvd. Well I finally quenched the thirst I’ve had for several months and boy does it taste good. Like a ice cold coke out of a glass bottle on a warm summer day, Beautiful imagery, right?

Speaking of beautiful imagery this movie is filled with it. Using simple techniques Duncan Jones created a visually captivating film. The space station in which Sam (Sam Rockwell) lives looks like you’d expect a space station to look, not super futuristic and not to old school, that kind of sterile white look that films like 2001 have perfected. I actually felt while watching it that Duncan Jones must love 2001 and not just because there was an talking A.I. (Kevin Spacey) there was just a lot of small touches, the music, some of the shot construction, the sets, it all seemed like a love letter to the Kubrick classic. Having said that the film has its own legs and its story is what captivated me.

It’s some what predictable at times without being to overly simplistic, it keeps you wanting to watch, you want to know the extent to the situations occurring around Sam and even as the credits rolled I found myself wishing I could have spent more time watching Sam Rockwell’s amazing performance.

I wasn’t able to watch the Blu-Ray but would love to one day soon see it in glorious HD, I envy all those who did. It’s a fantastic film that was overlooked by the academy IMO and should be watched by all at least once.

Final Verdict: 9 out of 10

A good weekend of movies, looking forward to Repo-Men this upcoming weekend and the sure to be amazing Kick-Ass in the weeks to follow and soon enough Summer Movie Season will kick into full gear…a great time of the year!

Comments (1)

You finally caught Moon, Frank! Nice! You couldn't have caught it over in the UK?
And we should be getting a Scott Pilgrim trailer soon. ... Hopefully.

Post a Comment

Labels