Random Nerd Fact

Mike Rowe's voice can make grown men fall to their knees...FACT

The Moffat Era part 4: The Time of Angels

Posted by Sinatra The Tank | Posted in , , | Posted on 10:26 PM

The week we’ve been waiting for since seeing the Series 5 trailer, the return of the Doctors future something or other River Song played by the wonderful Alex Kingston and not only that but we also get the return of one of the most interesting Who creatures since the show returned that would be The Weeping Angels. I tried to not get overly excited but it was quite hard as the new series has so far been great and with the return of River and the Angels it was a struggle. Luckily the episode blew my expectations right out of the water.

The Moff has again weaved an incredible tale that completely takes advantage of the everything that makes Who work. River and the Doctors relationship played out much differently in this episode then I was expecting, I suppose I should know by now to expected the unexpected when it comes to Moffat.

Stone Cold Killers...get it...STONE

The Doctor and Amy have some good moments this week but the spotlight is on the Doctor and River. The way the two bicker like an old married couple is hilarious and the actors nail the dynamic. The story itself is pretty interesting. There’s a real mystery to what’s going on but some of that mystery is no doubt due to the fact that this week ends on a cliffhanger leading into next weeks show. All in all we learn some cool new things about the Weeping Angels and a lot of setup for the conclusion next week, oh and this the week when the Doctor fires a gun!

There are some standout scenes in this episode, almost all of which include the Doctor and River however one of my favorite moments was a scene that harkened back to Rivers first appearance, Silence in the Library. I don’t want to spoil to much but anyone who has seen the episode probably knows what I’m talking about. I also found that even though the Doctor and Amy didn’t have to much alone time this week that their chemistry really shines more so then any other episode this series so far, I mean when your in the hand biting stage of a friendship its safe to assume you like each other. Watching the episode gave me the impression that the Doctor and Amy had been together for 3 or 4 series and not simply 3 or 4 episodes.

I (HEART) River Song

Also how about that Alex Kingston? She just has amazing screen presence and makes every scene that much better. Oh River Song, were have you been all my life (swoon). The episode is just a fantastic event from beginning to end. So are there any downfalls?

Only little nit-picky things but nothing really worth mentioning other then the fact that we get left hanging another week but we all knew it was coming so no harm no foul I guess. I wouldn’t go as far as to say this is my favorite Moffat penned story but depending on next week maybe I will. It is easily the top episode of the series so far and I can’t wait for next week. If you thought the Angels couldn’t get any worse, think again, simply not blinking just isn’t going to cut it anymore. Bravo Moff, same time next week then?


Final Verdict

9 out of 10

Sinatra LOVES The Time of Angels

Comments (0)

Post a Comment

Labels